Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Friday, September 18, 2020

Don't skip desire on the path

Reading my Wings Of Awakening, and I read the first bases of power (out of the four bases of power.


Developing
The basis of power
Of concentration
Founded on DESIRE
And fabrications of exertion.

It may not look like much, but I took a few gems from the teaching. First, I used to think that I needed to get rid of all desire. And here, it pays bare that sometimes desire is useful and helpful for developing concentration.

The second thing is to to really put in effort. The effort is white knuckling and parting for the outcome. It's a lot of putting in the inputs and really noticing. I am reminded of learning to play the piano.  Being impatient is not the way to go about it, nor is it good to be too patient and say, "well, maybe tomorrow."

I think it was a story told by Ajahn Fuang (?) about an actor going to Hollywood. The Ajahn asked, "what happens if they say you're no good. The aspiring actor said, well maybe I'll give up. "No!" replied Ajahn Fuang. Have some grit and get back up and try harder and be ingenious and resourceful.


For several years, I thought I needed to chill out more. And, in a sense, I did need to chill out more. But as I decreased the neuroses, I needed to amp up the watcher and the alertness, determination and endurance. I had endure the tough facing of my own bad habits, and endure the inner voice trying to make excuses.


Our bad habits fight to stay with us, like a banacle. It takes a lot of scrubbing to break free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts