Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Saturday, January 15, 2022

what sacrifice looks like from the inside

We are such social creatures. We like to think we are individuals, with our own minds. 

But how much and how often do we do things for others.
...for praise
...for avoiding blame.
...for appearances.

Even when we sacrifice, publicly. For sacrifice is a most public act. "Look at me, I sacrificed"
Therefore
I am superior
I am virtuous
I am praiseworthy
I am reformed, to be forgiven
I am without blame
(tension)

Maybe if we sacrifice enough, we can get a prize. Safety, as given by the outside. A safety that allows heedlessness. And also a safety that doesn't last.

For those who know, and see.
Someone from the outside would see "sacrifice", and the ascribed motives and external interpretations. Comment chains. A quagmire, a thicket of views off the mark.
The one who knows, from the inside, doesn't see sacrifice. They see common sense. Or no sacrifice at all. They see heedfulness. (less and less tension)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts