Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Buddhist Baseball Bat

I can remember it fondly. I was on a long drive near Rochester New York. I was spinning in my own thoughts about Buddhism, it's awesomeness, and the awesomeness of how I was such a good Buddhist. I was learning so fast. Things were clicking.

Somehow, probably from listening to a Thanissaro Bhikkhu talk, I had some ability to see this spinning. And the pride and sense of superiority. I thought I knew it all. And I thought I knew how to judge other people, inferior Buddhists.

I named this style of thinking the "Buddhist Baseball Bat". That name has stuck. Anytime I'm starting to use Buddhism to

  • Criticize other people, especially in a mean way
  • Focus on my superiority
  • Or criticize myself, in terms of "A real Buddhist would XYZ, and you're not doing that Eugene..."
That is the Buddhist Baseball Bat.

And when I call it that, some mix of awareness and humor helps me snap out of it. The "spinning" is blunted. And I've broken that instance of the chain of dependent co-arising.

It helps me not fall for my own thoughts.

UUDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts