Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Should I rage against the machinery? Or maybe just watch the puppy mind?

 Buddhism talks about Karma, which is about cause and effect. 

When there are the seeds of greed, we shouldn't be surprised greed arises. 

When there are the seeds of anger, we shouldn't be surprised anger arises.

When there are the seeds of delusion and wishful thinking, we shouldn't be surprised delusion and wishful thinking arise.

Some seeds we can control and some seeds we cannot.

THE OUTSIDE WORLD

I, myself, cannot control the seeds of the outside world. The chaos of war, anger, deceit, misconduct. I can't stop this. 

I remember the poignancy I felt hearing a story of the Vietnam war. A soldier was patrolling deep in the forest and saw a medium size hut. It was evening. He entered cautiously looking for enemy combatants. It was completely still and quiet. After a few moments, and to his surprise, his eyes adjusted and he saw a few dozen monks sitting silently. They must have heard him come in, if not earlier. Yet, they stayed in their seated position, meditating, with equipoise.

I imagine myself as that soldier. Seeing something that didn't make sense. Didn't they know there was a war? That they were in danger? Should they do something about it?

And I imagine myself as the monks. They knew there was a war. They knew there was danger. They could have decided to rage against the machine. Take up arms. Instead, they chose to focus on their practice, aware of that the world is insatiable, has nobody in charge, has no shelter. I often like to remember that I wouldn't be happy if I had unlimited wealth or sex or fame. Because the roots of suffering aren't about not getting what I want; it's about the relationship I have with believing I need to get my way in the world. End that, and a lot of possibilities open up.

And then, as the Queen Mallika story says, everyone else wants the same thing. And we're working on different scripts.

The outside world offers no lasting shelter for the mind. It can give temporary respites. Yes, a good cookie is fun. But, as Pema Chodron has said, enjoy but don't get attached to the cookie.


THE INSIDE WORLD

The seeds we can control are of the inside world. Nobody controls your "noticing"/"awareness" except yourself. There is a huge caveat in that you've invested or exposed yourself to years of habits. So you might feel those habits are in control. But habits are made and can be broken. Admittedly, not easily. The media, advertising, and even well-meaning friends will point you in different directions. But they don't have to deal with the consequences of your habits-- only you get that privilege and burden.

It's kinda helpful to know that the Buddha (it is told) completely ended suffering. But, put that in the back of your mind. You don't get there from 1 day of sheer will-- otherwise many willful people would capture enlightenment/Nirvana.

Instead, focus on your awareness/noticing. Be watchful. At the beginning, you don't have to actually change any of your opinions or worldly actions. Build up your "watching muscles".

I find it helpful, especially for beginners, to play a game. Watch the Puppy Mind. We ask ourselves, "Where is my puppy mind going?" Puppies are known to have a lot of energy and be somewhat crazy. But also very cute. Calling it our Puppy Mind makes it more safe and interesting to watch. It also makes it so we are less identified with it. I might tell people, "For the next 5-20 minutes, your puppy mind is not you. Just watch it."

Finally, the worldly content of your Puppy Thoughts aren't the key thing. You might say, "My Puppy Mind is really thinking about tomorrow's work meeting and whether the other team will accept our proposal to..." I don't know about you, but I've never known a puppy that I can understand that well. TIP: make it simpler. Convert that work worry to, "My Puppy Mind is worried about the future. My Puppy Mind wants to be right and for the other people to agree with me. My Puppy Mind wants to avoid conflict."

This is related to the 3 Feelings Game I made up in 2019/2020:  http://tinyurl.com/3FeelingsGame.

Instead of getting involved in how the Puppy Mind is with the outside world, try to notice its emotional state. Tense or not tense? Happy or not happy? Curious or uncurious?


There is much injustice in the world, and it is tempting to rage against it. If raging fixed things in a reliable-lasting way, I'd be all for it. But it doesn't. Our world seems like a few different factions trying to drive 1 bus. And many people saying there is "one true driver"... and willing to fight to the death (figuratively and literally) to have their way. If your team wins, you bet that the other team will try to knock you off. This is not a sustainable way forward.

I'm choosing not to rage against the machine. Since the raging isn't really helpful for the world or myself. (Though it impresses people in that faction). I'm aimed at freeing myself and ending greed, anger, and delusion. First in myself and then in others who are interested to do so. And it starts with watching the Puppy Mind. In that way, people who are free are able to be harmless and helpful in the world, without making more accidental conflict later on.

May this be helpful and of benefit to you and the world.
UUDR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts