Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Friday, July 16, 2021

Antidotes

I keep on looking this up, so I'm gonna post it here. This is from page 100 of The Island, essays on Nibbana.

5.17) “Contemplation of unattractiveness of the body should be
cultivated for the overcoming of sexual desire; loving-kindness should be
cultivated for the overcoming of ill will; mindfulness of breathing should
be cultivated for the cutting off of discursive thinking; contemplation of
impermanence should be cultivated for the dispelling of the conceit ‘I
am’ (asmi-māna). For when one perceives impermanence, Meghiya, the
perception of not-self is established. With the perception of not-self, the
conceit ‘I am’ is eliminated, and that is Nibbāna here and now.”
~ Ud 4.1, A 9.3


5.18) “Seclusion is happiness for one content,
who knows the Dhamma, who has seen;
“Friendship with the world is happiness
for those restrained toward all beings;
“Dispassion amidst the world is happiness
for those who have let go of sense desires;
“But the end of the conceit ‘I am’ –
that’s the greatest happiness of all.”
~ Ud 2.1



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts