Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Manifesto, a beginning

I'm smiling right now. Because, ever since I learned the word "manifesto" in middle school, I've really enjoyed it. It's a document that announces to the world (or to anyone listening, at least) some important event or change or thought. Manifestos mark beginnings.

My name is Eugene. I am 40 years old, and my life is changing. Success is no longer about numbers in a bank account, tasty meals, or the number of friends I have.

I have enough.

This is pretty revolutionary. To declare, in a world that is fighting for money or resources or trying to say one view is better than another view, where there is a constant whirring for and against, for and against, for and against-- to declare that I'm not whirring anymore. I have enough. There are things that I am for and things I am against, but I'm not whirring. In Buddhist parlance, things are happening, but I'm not clinging. I'm not clinging and feeding on ideas of achievement needing to be attained (often questionably pushed by commerce or culture). There is notFeeding in me (on the good days, at least). I have enough. My name is Eugene and I have enough.

And, for most (but not all) of the path, one simple task encompasses it all: be aware of greed, anger, and wishfulThinking. Try not to feed them.

That's it. Every day, I reflect on where there is greed, anger, and wishfulThinking in myself. It has gotten me to a point of the peace of "Nothing is Enough".

So, this blog, "Nothing is Enough", is really all about my (continuing) journey to understand and not feed my greed, my anger, and my wishfulThinking.

Do not take this on faith. You have to try it out and see if this works for you. But, for now, I invite you to put on the hat of "Maybe Nothing is Enough" and take a look at this alternate way of seeing the world. It is very much against the stream of mainstream society. And it has given peace of billions through 2600 years.

Welcome, and may this be of benefit. Please, use what's useful and discard the rest. (UUDR)

Best, G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts