Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

SHORTY: Imagination and "insteads"

A lot of my thinking has been about right/wrong thinking. One of the tricks to get out of it was the use of imagination and "insteads".

In particular:
DON'T: Think should or shouldn't I do this.
DO: What could I do instead?

DETAILS: (below)


I found that a lot of my thinking habits were about things I "absolutely had to do something because it was the right way to do it"... even though it wasn't. This applied to practicing Buddhism too. I had a view of Buddhism that was too rigid. Now, I still think greed, aversion, delusion, and fear are to be understood and overcome. But I don't force it. I use my imagination.

One of the biggest "insteads" I use is to not take a stand, i.e. do nothing. I think, what happens if I don't get angry at this person? What happens if I don't eat that ice cream? What happens if I don't take this shower? What happens if I don't take this action?

And then I turn on my watcher.

Part of my path is not just doing skillful things. It is having a good radar to notice what would happen if I did the unskillful thing. In that way, it isn't me trying to muscle my mind into working a certain way. It was often a change in perspective that made the choices for one instead over another much clearer.

May you use your imagination to find good "insteads".
See: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations4.html#addiction

1 comment:

  1. Thanissaro Bhikkhu adds, if you think you absolutely have to do something, ask why?

    And if you can't stay still, ask, "why not?"

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts