Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

SHORTY: On bad roads

Bad roads bring good people. Good roads bring all people.



Interpretation: Hardship weeds out people who are lazy or have better options. Criminal and fun-seekers seek the easiest marks. If you hang around a bad road, you'll actually find that the hardship has filtered out a lot of bad people. Ergo, mostly good people.

Commentary: I don't necessarily agree. There are rough neighborhoods of Oakland and Berkeley I've been in, and some people are there out of necessity. So, choice is a big prerequisite. And, criminals do hide out in the "badlands" where there aren't so many roads. So, you do get miscreants out on the bad roads. Furthermore, out in Baja, MX, where I was, there was plenty of excess drinking. I wouldn't associate that with good people (or good actions) either.

Caveat: However, I do think there is a beauty in the message. That those who travel the roads less traveled... they can be interesting because they've had to figure out things others have avoided (by traveling only the good roads). I'm thinking of the old Thai Ajahns and monks, like Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Khao who were Dhutanga forest dwellers who went very far on the path.)



This quote I got from DR who attributed to a woman he met in Baja who was a legend. She's now deceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts