Search This Blog

Poem

Nothing is Enough // Or everything is not enough. // I have a hunger... //// The hunger is me. // If I feed it, it wants more. // Mostly, it wants something else. //// A wise person, said STOP. //

Thursday, January 23, 2020

More and more, then what?

The Buddha cautioned about the desire for more. Speaking of money, I believe I heard he said, you can have a mountain of gold and this would not be enough.

I like the thought experiment: if I had 1000x money, would that make me permanently happy? If I had 1000x more sex.... If I had 1000x more friends; and not just any friends, the good friends who you can call at 3am. Or, maybe, 1000x more solitude. Or 1000x more fame. Perhaps 1000x more calm.

All of these are of the (delusional) thought pattern: if I had 1000x more ______, then I'd be permanently happy.

In fact, the permanent happiness pointed at in Buddhism is related to calming the mind.

Ajahn Munindo put it well in Seeing the Way, Vol2, to 2011.  At some point, the Buddhist path will ask how "skillful you are at holding 'not sure'". That not sure aspect isn't looking to make a change immediately, out of habit of need. The more&more pattern is often acting out of habit, without taking a look at whether more&more goes anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Castle, The Watcher, and The Guardian

The slogan "Nothing is Enough" may give the impression that this is "anything goes". It is not. Some have said that you ...

Popular Posts